Friday, July 18, 2008

Pretend Mommy

My sister and her husband celebrated their wedding anniversary this week. Dinner, shopping, spending quality time together ... so what does this mean? Yup you guessed it, a babysitter! I was the lucky one to be chosen to spend time with their kids, who wouldn't love that? So around 5pm I clocked out at work and raced over to their house. And like most babysitting jobs, the parents didn't leave till close to 6pm (at least it was my sister and brother-in-law, I don't mind them being around :p).
There were tears shed at their parting, but nothing a 4 year nursery veteran can't handle. The second the car was out of sight the tears settled down and we got to eating. Pizza is a wonderful meal (or breadsticks if you're Emmy). We spent a good ten minutes working on filling our tummies before the games began. We raced around the house chasing each other (love the circle runway), stopped to dump out the kid's toy baskets, ran downstairs to catch the last part of Jungle Book II, went spider hunting in the computer room, and finally back upstairs for a short splash in the bath. Quickly after the bath we ate again (not in my ultimate plans but if they are hungry and the parents are away I say go for it). Once our tummies were full of pizza and apple juice we picked out our favorite stories, read them, said our nighttime prayers, and joined the other children in dreamland.

With all the fun we had there were some life lessons going on as well. I will list a few of the ones I picked up while there:
1. Pizza sauce can be spread all over your face (even up your nose O.o)
2. Chasing kids really doesn't tire them out
3. When a movie is on DO NOT get in a childs view (death to siblings that way)
4. When playing puppies it is considered rude to make your puppy walk down stairs
5. Ponies can never be clean enough, they always want to take baths
6. Buzz Lightyear can be a weapon (trust me)
7. Spiders make everyone shiver (except little boys who find it fun to poke them)
8. If it has a straw there will be fighting (even if there is only ice left)
9. Bath time is more fun if you get the person not intending to get wet, wet.
10. If what you are doing gets a gasp for a response do it again (i had wet hand prints all over me)
11. Catching freshly bathed kids is a slippery job
12. Trying to put diapers on them can result in a streaking chase
13. One story is NEVER enough (but its ok, I love princess stories ^_^)
14. Little boys require no convincing to go to bed (at least in my nephews case)
15. Little girls want to look at the stars all night (because her daddy put them there)

and finally

16. Kids are a blessing to everyone (but I suppose you already knew that :p)

6 comments:

Malissa said...

Oh Ash, that was so funny. I could picture your night so well. I can also hear all the laughter as they are getting you all wet. :) I love life lessons. It is fun to see them from someone elses perspective. When my kids do these things, I don't always take it in stride. (Like soak the bathroom floor because it is "fun" to swim in the tub with your two brothers!) Mommy doesn't always see it their way. I am glad to have a good reminder that they are just kids and they need to have fun. I love reading your blog. Please keep 'em comin'!

Adamson said...

I loved it! My kids are always so happy to have you babysit them. They love their "Ashy." Emmy wants you to come stay with us for always. I am so glad that you enjoy watching my kids and that you make it so much for them while you are here. You have been such a blessing to me and I love it that you love my kids. We love you Ashley!

Malissa said...

Okay, so I loaned the books out to the lady that visits and teaches me and she loved them. You are right, there are so many people that love the books. We were also talking in church today about the books and I can't beleive how many of the ladies have read them. They are good though!

Ryann said...

Hi Ash! Love the blog and LOVED the story! It was too funny!

Malissa said...

Ashley,
We are leaving tomorrow! Want to come? We can swing by and pick you up. :) We will stay with Grandpa Fowler and we are also going to the zoo and the dinosaur park. It will be a fun filled 3 whole days. We can also drop you home if you would like us to! :)

Call me if you want to come!

Malissa said...

I think we are doing Lagoon on Monday. I had no idea you would be going so I didn't think to ever ask. It would be fun to see you there. Then someone could go with Tanner on all of the rides that I don't do. And I don't do hardly any rides. :) I will texted you if anything changes. How fun that you all will be in a Hotel room! Be good!