Synopsis:
Malva is the princess of Galnicia, destined to marry the Prince of Andemark. Or so her parents think. On the eve of her wedding, she escapes at dead of night from under her parents' noses, little realising that she is letting herself in for a life of peril and adventure, including being shipwrecked in a huge storm and captured as part of a harem. Hugely visual, the book tells of the wonder of frozen steppes and oriental palaces, of sailing ships and treasure islands. This is a book of drama, magic and excitement, where challenges have to be overcome, friendships cemented and hearts broken.
My Opinion:
I thought it was slow for the most part. One section left me going "what the cheeseball?" this doesn't fit! But it did up the adventure. I thought it was an ok book, something I would check out at the library until I read the end.
**Spoilers ahead!**
You have been warned. If you ever want to read this book do not read this part! And if you don't care then keep reading.
I hated the ending because the captain dies! He gets stabbed through the chest in the middle of the book and some magic crushed bugs and seaweed heals him in 2 days, but at the very end he gets stabbed again because he sneezes. He tried to shoot the gun but the room was full of hay and he sneezed before he could pull the trigger. He got stabbed clean through the chest and Malva had to take the gun from him and kill the bad guy (who just randomly appeared in the story when the author thought it was going slow). He died, they burried him three days later and the Princetta never got married. She set her town to be a kinda of utopia and lived an old maid till she died, taking the last of her line with her (she was an only child). There were twins in the story as well and one jumped off the boat to save the rest (too long to explain over a blog) so he just died. The dog turned into a statue, that was sad as well. I didn't care about the cook dying, it was his own selfishness. But come on! THE CAPTAIN! UGH! I hate movies/books where the love interst dies.
Well ... I hate most of them. I LOVE My Girl. I just finished watching it tonight (thanks Heather!). After reading a depressing ending I had to go and make it all better by watching a depressing movie. Maybe the next book I choose to finish will be a happy one. ::crosses fingers::
Edit: So when I finished writing this I clicked view blog to see if it all looked nice and My Girl was the randomized song. How ironic is that?!

4 comments:
Sorry about the book. That sucks that he died. I hate movies/books like that too. The love interest needs to stay alive. Your welcome for the depressing movie. I love it too and couldn't pass it up for 5 bucks.
Yeah, I am so with you-I hate it when the love interest dies. What is the point in reading it then? Then you just hate the book or the movie. Have you ever watched "The Painted Veil?" If not, you need to come and borrow it. I really LOVE that movie (don't know why but I just do) so yeah, you should watch that one.
I hate it when they die also. I guess, we as women, look at the man to be tough and take care of us. They are not supposed to get sick or die. They take care of us when we get sick or get hurt or protect us when the bad guys come. You know me, I am the perfect romantic. I love romance. I love the idea of love and romance.
I also like the movie you watched. The last time we came to Poky, the boys watched My Girl on their little TV. I listened to it over and over and over. It was fun though!
I just had to comment about your comment with Hunter and the shots. No, it is not a shot that he gets in the mouth but a liquid that they basically pour in his mouth that he choked down! I would have died if they gave him a shot in the mouth-the other ones are bad enough!
Post a Comment