Lots of things have happened since my last post. I am now assistant manager. I feel terrible for taking my fellow workers place, but when offered the position what else can I say?
>No I want to stay a cashier and refuse to gain valuable experience on my resume.
Haha, no. I took it happily thinking maybe there was a chance I would be trained and slip in easy beans.
That isn't how it went, so here is the breakdown.
I was called Thursday last week at 12pm and asked if I wanted to take a test. I found out then that the previous assistant manager messed up on the paper work and was quickly demoted. I said yes, but was very worried about the previous assistant manager. I like her and didn't want her to be upset with me.
I go into work Friday and am asked if I can come in, on my day off, and take the test for assistant manager. I agree and plan 2pm.
Saturday rolls around and I show up to work ready for some test taking. Apparently the DM was running behind and wasn't going to be there, but I was given my keys and told I was closing that night. My flaky boss ran out the door without a second glance back.
I didn't know how to close. I just remember watching the others do it. So here I am, not an assistant manager, holding keys, working with a cashier who really doesn't know how to close, attempting to do my best. We hardy had customers thankfully.
While doing the paperwork the numbers weren't matching, I was worried about what would happen, called the DM, and she told me not to worry about it since she was coming in Sunday to work the register for me while I take the test. So I shoved everything in the safe and went on my merry way.
Forgetting to clock out. On a Saturday. They send the data to payroll on Saturdays so it looked like I worked 15 hours.
I called the DM, she told me we would worry about it Sunday.
Sunday comes around and I have to open and close that day. I got there when I was supposed to, started my morning routine, which I was basically making it up since I had only seen it once. Around opening I went to the back and started on my test.
I scored a 90% on the first one and 92% on the second one.
Apparently my numbers were right on the deposit, I was just worried over nothing. My cashier came in and we cleaned the store top to bottom, 6 hours remaining. So we went through the food. We found more out of date stuff, and told the DM about it, she said we CANNOT sell old food and to throw it in the back for my boss to get rid of. The she left a nasty note and left.
Closing went better that night. I got everything in order, and we were out of there in 15 minutes.
Since then I have closed, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I feel like I will be getting this closing routine down. I only open twice a month so I don't know if I will ever get that down.
It isn't bad being assistant, I don't have to work with my boss as often, which is very very nice. And I am doing just what I did when I was working cashier, this time it is what I am supposed to be doing.
2 comments:
Nice job on the promo! Congrats. Love all the drama at your job. I bet in a million years, you would never have expected it!?! Huh?
Too funny about your first deposit being right on the money when you weren't sure. You are a smart girl Ash! Good luck in your new spot!
Wow, drama, drama, drama! Congrats on the new promotion! That is just pure awesome. Will that help make your schedule more set or will your days and hours vary by week?
I agree with Malissa, you are a smart girl and I'm not surprised that you did so well!
Post a Comment