Friday, June 26, 2009

My Family. My Family Dollar.

Some of you might now, some might not but I got a new job. Sadly it wasn’t where I wanted it to be. I am working at Family Dollar as a part time something right now. Not sure exactly what I am supposed to do because some things are really crazy there. I got a call back about a week ago and was asked to go to an interview, so I dressed in my nice Sunday clothes and drove out there and spoke with the boss. The interview went well I filled out paperwork and an online application and was sent out the door with a promise to get a callback in a couple days. They had to finish up some more interviews.

I got home and about two hours later was called back by another person from the store claiming they wanted to interview me. I asked if this was the second interview and she said she was the store manager and wanted to interview me some more since she would be working with me daily. So I agreed and went back in the next day.

Here is where it gets strange.

I was given specific instructions to walk into the store and go in the back, do NOT talk to the employees. I didn’t think anything of it and just did as told. I spoke with the manager and while I was going over the new employee instructions she left to speak with her boss (the first interview woman). I overheard something about the till being off an outrageous amount and the person lying about the reasons behind it. The manager came out and finished the interview with me and told me she wanted to walk me to the front door so I didn’t get stopped by anyone.

Was there a hit on me I didn’t know about? We walked to the front and she told me she just wanted to make sure I wasn’t stopped and talked to. She said there were some crazy things going on and she didn’t want me in the middle of it because I was taking over the employee who was off’s job.

We made it safely outside and I walked to my car safe and sound. My first day was the 22nd. We unloaded the truck and started shelving items. I LOVE IT! I didn’t think I would like shelving as much as I did but I ended up working nonstop to the point my boss came out and ordered me on a break where I sat fidgeting the whole time wanting to get back to unloading laundry soap. Tuesday I unloaded the cosmetics and hair products. I had Wednesday off and Thursday I organized the store to make it look nice and make sure everything was lined up and ready to be counted for inventory. I assume today or tomorrow I will be put on register so I can learn how to do that. I don’t think it will be too hard, but I have never done register before so we will see. I am just worried I will look like a dork when I have to take an item off the list. But I guess everyone has to start somewhere right? I am learning how to do things I normally don’t do. I only work 4 hours a day because the whole strange firing situation. When the girl has a job they are going to kick her out and move me in. so I don’t know how long things will work the way they are now. She said maybe next week I will work the same hours and we will move from there.

3 comments:

Kati said...

I love the whole cloak and dagger thing you have going on at work, so mysterious and scary!!!!! ^_^ I want to stock shelves and get paid!!!!

Maybe one day I will have a job and blog about it, sigh.......

Adamson said...

So, let's just hope that girl doesn't show up in a fit if rage on day after being fired and shoot the place up. You know me and my crazy fear of being shot. that was what came to my mind about the whole thing.
Anyway, I am glad you are happy with what you are doing.

Ryann said...

Wow, what a weird situation with the whole thing. Seriously, that was just weird! Some places and people, you know?

Glad that you had fun. We make frequent stops there so hopefully we see you one day. I mean, it is like my kids' favorite place to go (besides the dollar store) and I love to go and look at the clothes and baby stuff (you know me). So I'm happy for you and hope that it works out!